Today we are happy to announce our Eliademy All Stars video interviews. The initiative aims to interview key influencers from various industries on the subject of Education, Technology, Entertainment and Venture Capitalism. We believe that those 4 industries are spearheading the transformation of Education and the world must hear their vision and mission.
We have an impressive line up of interviews of key Finnish stakeholders like Teemu Kokko, Jonas Dromberg, Minna Wickholm, Tero Ojanperä and much more. If you are also welcome to propose some for the interview via firstname.lastname@example.org
Today we also want to present you a list of 10 influencers who have had a strong impact on Eliademy’s team. From different fields of expertise, they all have innovative ideas and we highly recommend you to follow them!
Elon Musk is a visionary and serial entrepreneur. Currently the CEO of SpaceX and Tesla Motors, he is also a founder of highly different companies such as SpaceX, Tesla Motors and PayPal. Elon Musk does not hesitate to dream big and give himself the means to achieve his visionary projects, like creating a mass-marketed electric car or reusable rockets. Besides, he is a chairman of the Musk Foundation and he has given a considerable part of his fortune to philanthropic causes.
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/elonmusk
- TED Talk “Elon Musk: The mind behind Tesla, SpaceX, Solar City…”: https://www.ted.com/talks/elon_musk_the_mind_behind_tesla_spacex_solarcity
Marissa Mayer is the CEO of Yahoo since July 2012 and she was before a key executive in Google where she worked for more than 10 years (as Director of Consumer Web products, as Vice President of Search Products and User Experience, etc.). Her data-driven approach to product development has brought her many successes in her work.
According to a Forbes ranking, Marissa Mayer is the 18th most powerful women in the world.
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/marissamayer
Peter Diamandis is a well-known entrepreneur and founder of the X PRIZE Foundation, which organizes public competitions in order to foster the development of innovative ideas for the benefit of humankind.
He believes that “there is no problem we cannot solve” and that everyone has the power to change the world depending on his/her passion. In his book Abundance: The Future is Better than You Think, he envisions a world where technological innovation will have allowed anyone in the world to access basic necessities such as clean water, food, energy, education, health care, freedom, etc. For Peter Diamandis, this future is about to happen as technologies are growing at an exponential rate.
Passionate about space, Peter Diamandis has also created various companies in this field.
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/peterdiamandis
- Peter Diamandis website: http://www.diamandis.com/
- Video on “The future is better than you think”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZntBj873oY
- Book Abundance: The Future is better than you think (2012)
Passionate about e-learning, Christopher Pappas is the founder of The eLearning Industry Network, gathering more than 250000 professionals. He has created and is now running the following e-learning websites:
- The eLearning Industry, where one can find e-learning articles, concepts, software and other diverse resources;
- eLearning Feeds, which ranks more than 300 top e-learning blogs daily;
- eLearning Weekly, a weekly newsletter with more than 9600 subscribers, on e-learning;
- eLearning Tags, the first social bookmarking site of the e-learning community;
- eLearning Infographics, considered first source for the best education infographics;
- eLearning Interviews Magazine;
- Viva eLearning, containing free video tutorials.
Moreover, Christopher Pappas founded and leads the largest LinkedIn group dealing with eLearning “The Instructional Design and eLearning Professionals’ Group”.
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/cpappas
Wendy Kopp is Chair of the Board of Teach For America (TFA), a national teaching corps she founded in 1989 with the mission of providing high-quality education to low-income communities in the USA and eventually eliminate educational inequalities within the country. TFA is composed of graduates from prestigious colleges who believe they have a social responsibility and commit themselves for a minimum of 2 years of teaching in the US poorest areas. Nowadays, Wendy Kopp is the co-founder and CEO of Teach For All, a global network with the same purpose as Teach For America.
Wendy Kopp is listed in Impact 30, the Forbes’ list of 30 social entrepreneurs who have most impacted the world.
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/wendykopp
- Teach For All website: http://www.teachforall.org/en
- Teach For America website: https://www.teachforamerica.org/
Michio Kaku is a theoretical physicist, known for his work in string and quantum field theory and popularization of science. He has written many best sellers, numerous articles and often takes part in TV shows. In his last best seller The Future of the Mind: The Scientific Quest to Understand, Enhance, and Empower the Mind, he takes up the topic of the mind from a brand new point of view and discusses different technologies that could alter it.
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/michiokaku ; https://twitter.com/drkakusuniverse
- Website “Explorations in Science”: http://mkaku.org/
- Video on “The Future of Mind”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUVw6Pn6GTg
Sugata Mitra is Professor of Educational Technology at the School of Education, Communication and Language in Newcastle University, United Kingdom. He has conducted many educational researches and has presented interesting results and ideas in TED-talks. He is famous for his hole-in-the-wall experiment (India, 1999), which shows that, in a stimulating environment, children can learn even without the direct help of a teacher. Sugata Mitra’s ideas in education and his wish to build a “school in the cloud” won him the 2013 TED Prize.
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/sugatam
- The Hole in the Wall website: http://www.hole-in-the-wall.com/
- Sugata Mitra’s TED talk “Build a school in the Cloud”: http://www.ted.com/talks/sugata_mitra_build_a_school_in_the_cloud
Malala Yousafzai is a Pakistani activist for female education and human rights, today aged of 17. In October 2014, she received the Nobel Peace Prize, together with the Indian Kailash Satyarthi. Thus she became the youngest person and the first Pakistani to have ever received this award. Her struggle started when she was 11-12 and writing about her life under the Taliban occupation in a blog for the BBC. As Malala spoke up for her rights, criticized the situation in Pakistan and became more and more well-known, she and her family received death threats. On October 9th 2012, a gunman shot her while she was heading to school by bus. She miraculously survived and moved to the United Kingdom, where she now lives, attends school and keeps up with her struggle for female education and human rights.
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/malalafund
- Malala Website: http://www.malala.org/
- Video on “Malala Yousafzai 2014 Nobel Peace Prize Speech”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66tIRTm91F8
- Article on “Malala Yousafzai: Portrait of the girl blogger”, BBC News Magazine, 10/10/2012: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-19899540
Jimmy Wales is a co-founder of Wikipedia (with Larry Sanger in 2001), the biggest online nonprofit encyclopedia written by volunteers. His goal is to provide access to information to anyone on the planet, which is why the articles are available freely in a vast range of different languages. Wikipedia is operated by the Wikimedia Foundation, a nonprofit organization founded in 2003 by Jimmy Wales.
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/jimmy_wales
- TED Talk on “The birth of Wikipedia”: https://www.ted.com/talks/jimmy_wales_on_the_birth_of_wikipedia
Emmanuel Davidenkoff is the editor-in-chief of the French monthly magazine L’Etudiant, which provides information on studies and work to young people of 15-25 years old. Specialist of education, he also wrote many book on this topic including his last best seller Le tsunami numérique (2014), in which he analyzes the effect of a numeric tsunami on the educational system.
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/davidenkoff
- Book Le tsunami numérique (2014) (in French)
- Video “Emmanuel Davidenkoff : Un tsunami numérique bouleverse l’éducation”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd7dR8ZEun8 (in French)
Stay tuned and subscribe to our YouTube channel in order to receive updates on the upcoming Eliademy All Stars video interviews.