The Angewandte was founded in 1867 as the k.k. Kunstgewerbeschule des k.k. Österreichischen Museums für Kunst und Industrie. It was the first school of its kind on the continent. In 1941 it became an institution of higher education. In 1970 it was awarded the title of a university and in 1998 the school was renamed the Universität für angewandte Künste (University of applied arts).